When I first moved to Iowa 7 years ago from Kentucky, I wasn't sure if I would find my place to fit in. I was leaving my home where I was born and raised and going to a brand new state. I'm still getting used to the stupid winters up here and I'm glad to say I'm getting experience driving in the snow!
However, moving to Iowa gave me the best stepping stones in my life. Most importantly, I gave birth to my son the year after my husband and I moved here. He's the highlight of my life.
Second, thanks to the rules and regulations in the state of Iowa I was able to start my own cake decorating business in my home. Ever since I was a little girl, I always wanted to decorate cakes. Luckilly, when I started I found that I actually have a talent!
Iowa home bakers are very lucky in that there aren't strict rules in having your own home bakery. In states such as Texas it's actually illegal to sell cakes prepared in your own home kitchen. In Iowa, you don't have to be licensed by the State if you're only going to sell non-potentially hazardous foods (no cream fillings, no cheesecakes). However, I chose to get my license because I like that I can tell my potential clients that I do have a licensed kitchen.
Also, I found it very stress-free to register my business with Polk County and register my logo as a trademark with the State. Enchanted Sweets is my legal business that I've always dreamed of!
Business is growing, I'm excited to take on any cake order, I love the willingness of customers who give me full creative reign with their design. I love it! I highly recommend this route to anyone who needs a creative outlet.