Monday, January 7, 2008

Concerns about pricing

I want to share with all my potential customers why I charge what I do. A lot of hard work, dedication, and love go into each and every cake I make. Some may consider it just cake and frosting....Hey how hard could it be? Wrongo....each cake takes lots of planning, preparing, and executing the designs. I usually start many of my cake decorations such as fondant bows, figures, or even gumpaste flowers at least a week ahead of time. This gives the pieces time to dry. By the time you mix the cake, bake it, prepare the frosting just right, prepare the cakeboard, stack the cakes, and so on.....hours and hours can go by without realizing it. I just want to stress that when I prepare a cake for someone it's not something frozen and whipped up in a second from the grocery store, or Wally world. Maybe it's the mom in me, but I want to make sure I create something that my own child would love. There's nothing better in the world to experience as a cake decorator than seeing the face of the child when they see their cake for the first time. It's awesome to see their faces erupt in squeals, screams, and laughter.

I find my prices are VERY reasonable for the Des Moines area. I seem to fall in the middle because there are some that are lower, and some that are higher. I don't want to undercut competition at all, but I charge what I am comfortable with and being a former cake customer myself, I know what I would want to spend. However, I also have to realize all the hard work I put into each cake needs to be the focus of my pricing. I quarantee you won't be sorry at all with any cake from Enchanted Sweets!

No comments: